Los Angeles/San Diego Entries Combined as Southern California Virtual Competition. Southern California Virtual Competition Livestream: Weekend of April 10, 2021
Entry closing date for Los Angeles: March 4, 2021
Entry closing date for San Diego: March 18, 2021
Video Submission deadline for LA/SD: March 18, 2021
Competition is open to all amateur dancers under the age of 21.
An amateur dancer – a nonprofessional – is defined by California Dance Classics (CDC) as: Any person who is not currently engaging in and has never engaged in dance or given dance instruction as a primary source of monetary income.
Secure your entry by paying your registration fee:
- In order to secure your entry in the selected CDC competition your registration fee must be paid. Once the registration fee has been received you will be recorded as an attending competitor.
- Registration will be closed once maximum capacity has been reached.
- If you wish to be wait-listed for a “sold out” location please email full details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual Competition Registration Fee
- Non-Soloist Registration Fee – $15.00 per dancer participating in Ensemble, Duet, Trio, Pas de Deux
- Soloist Registration Fee – $85.00 per dancer (8 years & older)
- Petite Soloist Registration Fee – $25.00 per dancer (7 years & younger)
Note: Soloists who are also participating in additional sections are exempt from paying the Non-Soloist Registration Fee.
Virtual Performance Entry Fee
- Solo – $75 for each solo
- Pas de Deux – $65 per dancer
- Duet/Trio – $40 per dancer
- Ensemble Fee – $30 per dancer
- Los Angeles competitors: All Fees due February 18, 2021.
- San Diego competitors: All fees due March 4, 2021.
- *Space permitting, additional entries may be accepted after the above dates.
- Spelling & entry details must be accurate & fully provided to your registration page.
- On your Registration Main Menu page, complete Step 1: Create/Manage dancers, Step 3: Register for Competition, Step 4: Check Balance/Payment Information. (Note: Step 2: Mangage/Upload Your Music is not required for virtual events.)
Performance Video Details:
- Videos must be recorded for California Dance Classics Competition.
- Due to copyright constraints, videos recorded at other competitions cannot be accepted.
- Film HORIZONTALLY!
- Videos should be slated by the Performer: name, age, title of dance. Additionally, a brief personal message is welcome.
- End each performance video with a reverence.
- Videos should include: full shot of dancer’s body at all times and an unedited take of entire performance.
- Submitted videos must be recorded in a studio or on-stage and should be current (recorded no earlier than November 1, 2020). Please note: it would be in your dancers’ best interest to submit footage recorded after January 1, 2021 in order to receive feedback that pertains to their most current skill level.
- Costumes are optional. Simple dance attire is also welcomed. Participants will not be judged on costume but, will be judged on grooming and appropriate attire.
- All videos must be uploaded by March 18, 2021.
- Dances will need to be uploaded to YouTube. Submission will be carried out through a cut/paste of the YouTube URL directly onto the entry form.
Judges’ Critiques and Awards Details:
- Each entry will receive a thorough audio/video critique from three different judges. Scores and judges’ critiques can be found on your Registration Portal under “View Competition Results.” Click scores to hear judges’ critiques.
- Awards will be announced through a Virtual Awards Ceremony. Physical awards will be mailed.
Master Class Details:
- There will be two 1.5 hour Master Classes (via Zoom) for all competitors divided into appropriate age groups on the originally planned weekends (1 Classical, 1 Contemporary).
- Los Angeles Competitors’ Master Classes: March 13-14
- San Diego Competitors’ Master Classes: March 27-28
- Open to all participants 8 years and older.
- All solo entrants may apply for scholarship consideration.
- Audition Fee (per dancer) $35.00
- Administration of scholarship opportunities will be based on a set of formal Classical Ballet exercises provided by California Dance Classics. Appropriate exercises will be set according to age group. A link to your designated exercises will be sent upon request. Email: email@example.com. Include student name, age and studio.
- Exercises will need to be uploaded to YouTube. Submission will be carried out through a cut/paste of the YouTube URL directly onto the entry form.
- Submitted videos must be recorded in a studio.
- Please film horizontally.
- Appropriate Classical Ballet attire must be worn.
- Videos should include: full shot of dancer’s body at all times and unedited takes of each exercise without adjusting camera position between exercise sides (so both front and back view of dancer can be seen).
- All videos must be uploaded by March 18, 2021.
Participants can enter as Independent or with their Studio.
In the event that a prize winning soloist performs multiple times in the same section, only the participant’s highest score will be awarded a prize.
If applicable, the performing student’s teacher or coach is responsible for obtaining any required choreographer’s and/or musical releases and is responsible for the payment of any required royalties.
CDC reserves the right to use any photo or video recording of a participants’ performance during the competition for promotional purposes.
CDC reserves the right to restrict the number of times a student may perform.
CDC reserves the right to refuse any registration at its discretion.
CDC reserves the right to refuse participation at will.
There are no refunds for any fees paid. Consideration may be made for Medical/Injury with the Doctor’s Certification in writing. Merchant Service Fees cannot be refunded.
CDC may amend rules and regulations.